Some Jenkins plugins are based on the Ruby Runtime, should I use them?
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on modern cloud platforms - Managed Master
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on traditional platforms - Client Master
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise - Managed Master
- CloudBees Jenkins Platform - Client Master
- CloudBees Jenkins Distribution
- Jenkins LTS
Jenkins is written in Java and most of the plugins are written in Java too.
Some plugins are written in Ruby and are depending on the Ruby Runtime Plugin to run.
This plugin is providing the Ruby runtime as well as the necessary bindings for plugins written in Ruby to integrate with Jenkins.
There are several issues with this:
* the Ruby Runtime Plugin is up for adoption and did not receive any update since 2016.
* mixing up Ruby Runtime and Java Runtime is adding complexity and potential bugs.
The recommendation is therefore not to install any plugin depending on Ruby.