It is normal to have various types of agents with different OS (linux, windows, …) and most of the time we will need to install some tools on them required by the build process.
Below are different approaches to manage and maintain the necessary tools in a simple way regardless of the type of agent.
- CloudBees Core
- CloudBees Core on modern cloud platforms - Managed Master
- CloudBees Core on modern cloud platforms - Operations Center
- CloudBees Core on traditional platforms - Client Master
- CloudBees Core on traditional platforms - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise - Managed Master
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Platform - Client Master
- CloudBees Jenkins Platform - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Distribution
- Jenkins LTS
As example, we are going to use the Maven tool installation to show the different alternatives. These methods should work in the same way with other Tool installation
In Jenkins, it’s possible to create a Tool and add different installers. Depending on the installer selected, Jenkins will act differently.
If your nodes are able to connect to Apache and download the required tool, then you just need to use the
Install from Apache installer
And Jenkins will automatically init the download and install the Maven tool in the agent, no matter the type of agent.
Note: have in mind that Apache installer only will be available for Apache tools. Other tools may not have this kind of installer
Sometimes the previous solution is not enough because of different reasons:
- There is not connectivity between agents and Apache downloads
- The tools requires some customization
In both cases, you will need to prepare a bundle of the tool and store it in an internal repository accessible. In this case, you can use the
Extract *.zip/*.tar.gz installer
or if you need some extra customization, use the
Run Batch Command/Run Shell Command installer.
If both cases you can use the
label field to filter in which agent each installer can be used.
Important The labels in the agent and installer have to match. That means that the
windows installer will be used in agents which contains the label
windows, otherwise you can expect errors installing the tool.