- A new team / managed master does not come up on start up and is stuck on the “Registration” screen
- A new team / managed master does not come up on start up and is stuck on the “Unlock Jenkins” screen
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on modern cloud platforms - Managed Master
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on modern cloud platforms - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise New User Experience
There are 2 potential causes:
- Operations Center Single Sign-on is not enabled for the master: In that case, the “Unlock Jenkins” screen will show up as for the startup of any fresh unsecured Jenkins instance. This is the expected behavior.
- Operations Center is not responding to the Master’s request on time: If Operations Center is not responsive or slow to respond to the master on its first startup, the master may be stuck on registration or asking for the admin password. This is a timing issue due to the non responsiveness of the CJOC over the network.
Depending on how far the startup went, you may see the “Registration” screen or the “Unlock Jenkins” screen.
In Operations Center, ensure that a “Single Sign-on” option is selected under Manage Jenkins -> Configure Global Security > Client master security > Security Setting Enforcement:
In Operations Center, if client masters are allowed to opt-out the security enforcement check that Security Setting Enforcement > Opt-out is disabled in the configuration of the Managed Master item.
The 10 seconds timeout is actually generous. The CJOC should not take 10 seconds to respond to an HTTP requests from the masters. If the workaround fixes this, then it is most likely a problem problem of performance on the CJOC or the network. In that case, open a ticket with CloudBees Support and attach a support bundle of the Master and the CJOC.
The registration state uses two timeout to register a master on first startup. Each of them default to
10s. The workaround is to raise those timeouts by setting the following system properties to the configuration of the master:
hudson.license.RegistrationState.CJOCConnectionTimeoutSeconds=<value in seconds> hudson.license.RegistrationState.CJOCLicensePushTiemoutSeconds=<value in seconds>
The properties must be added to the Provisioning > System Properties section of the Master’s item configuration. Replace the
<value in seconds> by
60 for a 60 seconds timeout for example.
Note: the properties may be added to the Manage Jenkins > Configure System > Kubernetes Master Provisioning > Advanced > Global System Properties to apply to any new master (including a team master)