The Jenkins process crashes while running on a Windows system.
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core)
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on modern cloud platforms - Managed controller
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on modern cloud platforms - Operations Center
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on traditional platforms - Client controller
- CloudBees CI (CloudBees Core) on traditional platforms - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise - Managed controller
- CloudBees Jenkins Enterprise - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Platform - Client controller
- CloudBees Jenkins Platform - Operations Center
- CloudBees Jenkins Distribution
- CloudBees Jenkins X Distribution
- Operating System: Windows
This article describes how to collect the minimum required information for crash issues
on a controller or Operations Center running on a Windows system, so that it can be efficiently troubleshooted. If the required data
is bigger than 50 MB you will not be able to use ZenDesk to upload all the information.
On this case we would like to encourage you to use our [upload service]
in order to attach all the required information. The upload service works best in
Chrome or Firefox.
[ ] approximate time frame of the issue (including time zone)
hs_err_pidXXXX.log (where XXXX is the pid of the process that crashed)
The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) will generate a
hs_err_pidXXXX.log file and a Windows User-Dump file
in the event of a an actual JVM crash. The
hs_err_pidXXXX.log file is normally written to the
working directory of the process or in the temporary directory for the operating system, unless the
-XX:ErrorFile="locationOfYourChoosing\hs_err_pid%p.log" Java parameter is set as recommended
in [Prepare Jenkins for Support] which will cause the file to be written to the location specified.
Please note that Windows User-Dump files have to be enabled as documented [here]. Windows User-Dump
files are applicaple to Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1), and higher.
The Dump Type should be set to 2 for a full user-mode dump to be generated.
Please upload all of the files listed under the Required Data check list for review.
Please note that it is recommended to keep the version of Java 8 used by Jenkins at the most recent version
available to take advantage of the fixes it contains, which includes fixes for crashes in Java.